I can pack…
We were sitting around yesterday, packing for the trip back home and I started thinking about packing, moving, traveling. Twenty-three years after I hopped on a plane to Elmira, New York I tried to see if I could even contemplate the mileage I’ve traveled, and the times my wife and I have had to move.
I can’t calculate the mileage but was going to take a stab at how many times we’ve packed up our things and moved. I consider four weeks or more in one spot a ‘move’ since we toted everything with us.
Arrive in Phoenix after driving from Yavapai JC (on the heels of losing in the JC World Series in one of the funnest and best years of baseball ever) and the following morning I hop on a plane.
1. Phoenix to Elmira (Elmira from June to August). BTW that was all for a whopping $750 a month – pre taxes – which I made it on by renting an attic room for 99 bucks a month!
2. Elmira to Sarasota for Instructional league (September to early October)
3. Sarasota to Phoenix for the winter.
4. Phoenix to Winter Haven (March to early April).
5. Winter Haven to Greensboro, N.C. (April to August).
6. Greensboro to Sarasota for Instructional league (September to October).
7. Sarasota to Phoenix for the winter.
8. Phoenix to Winter Haven spring training.
9. Winter Haven to New Britain, Connecticut (April to July). Traded from Sox to Orioles (Brady Anderson and I for Mike Boddicker).
10. New Britain to Charlotte, N.C. (August)(10)
Called up to the Major Leagues
11. Charlotte to Baltimore (September).
12. Baltimore to West Palm for Instructional League.
13. West Palm to Hermisillo, Mexico for Winter Ball (my only no-hitter!)
14. Hermisillo to Phoenix for the winter.
15. Phoenix to West Palm Beach for spring training.
16. West Palm to Rochester, NY (April to Sept 1).
17. Rochester to Baltimore (September).
18. Baltimore to Santo Domingo, D.R. for Winter Ball.
19. Stayed in Baltimore that winter.
20. Baltimore to Sarasota for Spring Training.
21. Sarasota to Rochester (April to June).
22. Rochester to Baltimore (June to September).
Stayed in Baltimore that winter (also met Shonda the day the season ended)
Traded to Houston that winter (Pete Harnisch, Steve Finley and I for Glen Davis)
23. Baltimore to Orlando for spring training.
24. Orlando to Houston (April-May).
25. Houston to Tucson (sent to AAA, June to early July).
26. Tucson to Houston (July to Sept).
Spent the winter in Houston
27. Houston to Orlando for spring training.
Traded final day of ST to Philadelphia for Jason Grimsley, flew to Miami for one day to meet the team then to Philadelphia. (Shonda was driving to Houston with the wives and heard about the trade on the radio, she pulled over to the side of the road, went to Houston and packed up, headed to Philly.)
28. Philadelphia April to Sept, lived in Marlton, NJ in the off season.
35. Seven straight years of Living in Philly, Clearwater every January through the end of March, back to Philly for the season. We started to go down January 1st every year to workout in the warm weather much earlier. Gehrig was born in 1995, Gabby in 1997, Grant in 1999.
36. Philly to Clearwater.
37. Clearwater to Philly until July.
38. Traded to Arizona for Travis Lee, Omar Daal, Nelson Figueroa and Vincente Padilla
Philadelphia to Arizona for August to October 1st. Spent the winter in Arizona
41. Winter and season in Phoenix and eight weeks apart while we ST in Tucson. Garrison is born in 2002.
Traded the winter of 2004 to Boston for Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon, Jorge De Larosa and Michael Goss.
42. Phoenix to Ft Myers for spring training.
43. Ft Myers to Boston for the season.
44. Boston to Phoenix for the off season.
45. Phoenix to Ft Myers for spring training.
46. Ft Myers to Boston for the season.
47. Boston to Phoenix for the off season.
48. Phoenix to Ft Myers for spring training.
49. Ft Myers to Boston for the season. Settled into Boston as residents for good, that winter.
2007 and 2008
51. Boston to Ft Myers for spring training.
Ft Myers to Boston for good…
Fifty-one moves. Damn. It’s certainly not a normal number but I wonder how many is “a lot”? Even taking out spring training since it was 6-8 weeks (but it was still a full fledged move, even more so once the family made the trips every year) that’s still a crap load of moving.
Those first few years it was a nightmare on the money I made. Starting at $750 a month I think the most I made in the minors was $2,500 a month or so, pre-taxes. I didn’t sign for much either so I know I made the most of every dollar back then.
Oh, and welcome to 2009. Over/under on how many times you sign or date something 2008? For me I’ll go 10 …